Our School Board
As an Independent Public School, Hocking Primary School has a School Board as per the requirements of The School Education Act 1999.
The School Board is a separate body from the Parents & Citizens Association with the fundamental purpose of enabling parents and members of the community to engage in activities that are in the best interests of students and that will enhance the education provided by the school.
The functions of School Boards are prescribed by the School Education Act 1999 and the School Education Regulations 2000 as follows:
Take part in:
- establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions;
- planning financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions;
- evaluating the school’s performance in achieving those objectives, priorities and directions;
- formulating codes of conduct for students at the school; and
- take part in the selection of, but not the appointment of, the school principal or any other member of the teaching staff if prior approval is given by the Regional Executive Director.
- a charge or contribution determined by the principal for the provision of materials, services and facilities;
- the costs determined by the principal to be paid for participation in an extra cost optional component of the school’s educational program;
- the items determined by the principal to be supplied by a student for the student’s personal use in the school’s educational program; and
- an agreement or arrangement for advertising or sponsorship in relation to a government school.
- in consultation with students, their parents and staff of the school, a dress code for students when they are attending or representing the school.
Provide advice to the principal of the school:
- on a general policy concerning the use in school activities of prayers, songs and material based on religious, spiritual or moral values being used in a school activity as part of religious education; and
- on allowing time for the special religious education of students in the school.
- the school in the community.